Author Topic: How far out to purchase tickets?  (Read 901 times)

Offline napoleonpp

• Full Access Member
How far out to purchase tickets?
« on: March 14, 2016, 05:42:10 PM »
My wife and I will be traveling to Vegas in July for about two weeks. We are looking at packages on Expedia, which continues to look like the cheapest deals. We are wondering how far out we should purchase the packages? We don't want to purchase one now and then see the prices go down a couple months before we leave. We also don't want to hold off with hopes of prices going down and they just go up.

Offline knagl

• Administrator
Re: How far out to purchase tickets?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 08:23:57 PM »
Hotels are generally pretty cheap in July -- chances are good that hotel rates will drop between now and then.  How significant is the savings you're seeing by purchasing a package versus booking flight and hotel separately?

This site may help you determine when the best time to buy airfare is from your city:

https://www.cheapair.com/when-to-buy-flights

Offline napoleonpp

• Full Access Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:35:25 PM »
I've tried booking them separate on Expedia and I've tried booking them together on Expedia. Booking separate is about $300 more. I'm ok booking separate if I can find it for a cheaper price. Not looking for a certain ballpark number, just looking for whatever savings we can get. I appreciate the input!

Offline sarah9nascar

• Full Access Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 09:47:40 PM »
Have you tried booking through an airline and a hotel? I used to always book package deals also but then after several trips realized even a low roller like me can get comps especially during slow parts of the year like July.

Offline knagl

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:23:33 PM »
I've tried booking them separate on Expedia and I've tried booking them together on Expedia.

Rather than looking at Expedia for separate bookings, look directly through the airlines and hotels to see what you can find.  Also, what hotel(s) are you looking at?

A good site for finding the lowest airfare is ITA Software Matrix.  You can't buy fares through them, but they'll show you some of the lowest available fares from the various airlines.  Note, not all airlines are included in their search.  Southwest, for example, does not get searched by them.

Offline napoleonpp

• Full Access Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:27:24 AM »
I wouldn't have thought July and would be slow and cheap. I called the hotel and airlines about a month ago to check prices directly with them. I tried the M-Life discount since we are a M-Life member, however it was still more. I also tried military discount, and it was more as well. I'll try that site as well.  I'm about to deploy shortly after the vacation so just wanted to try and save as much as possible for spending money instead. Thanks for all the help!!

Offline RecVPPlayer

• Full Access Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 01:29:31 PM »
I wouldn't have thought July and would be slow and cheap. I called the hotel and airlines about a month ago to check prices directly with them. I tried the M-Life discount since we are a M-Life member, however it was still more. I also tried military discount, and it was more as well. I'll try that site as well.  I'm about to deploy shortly after the vacation so just wanted to try and save as much as possible for spending money instead. Thanks for all the help!!
Thank you very much for your service!  July and August are slow and therefore cheaper because many people don't want to be there because of all of the heat there (with days close to or over 100 Degrees and very warm nights as well) plus also special events (such as weddings) tend to happen in the summer.

Offline knagl

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 05:45:18 PM »
I wouldn't have thought July and would be slow and cheap. I called the hotel and airlines about a month ago to check prices directly with them.

July will indeed be slow, but prices for July right now may still be a little high since it's so far out.  At least for hotels, as we get closer to July rates should really go down (although weekends and convention periods can drive them back up).  Keep checking.  If you decide to book separately, book a hotel room when you find a good deal so long as you can cancel it without penalty, and then cancel and re-book once prices drop.  Good luck!

Offline bardolator

• Full Access Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 07:20:50 AM »
Knagl +1.

Many of us started out getting packages but quickly switched to direct, separate bookings. Same goes for booking rental cars if you decide to do that. Package booking is convenient, but convenience comes at a price. A package is also quite INconvenient if your plans change or prices drop and you are locked in.
"Wanting to believe something is not any reason at all to believe it. If anything, it's a reason to question it."   -Penn Jillette

Offline stungazed

• Full Access Member
    • Las Vegas by STUNGAZED
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 01:00:08 PM »
Another thing to add about July. While June/July/August are typically pretty cheap, if you're looking at going over 4th of July weekend, it WON'T be nearly as cheap as the other times.
James
stungazed-at-hotmail-dot-com
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/stungazed

Until the Summer Trip