Author Topic: q1: off-Strip dining  (Read 293 times)

Offline Vegas Introvert

• @VegasIntrovert on Twitter and YouTube
    • VegasIntrovert on YouTube
q1: off-Strip dining
« on: November 21, 2020, 11:16:52 PM »
Next VEGAS trip ==> TBD 2021

Online uknowme

• Full Access Member
Re: q1: off-Strip dining
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 06:24:41 PM »
I like Lotus of Siam.  The original.  In the Strip Mall.  For lunch.
Does Pizza Rock downtown count?  I like their meatballs at happy hour.
Is the Strat off strip?  If so, 107 Lounge Happy Hour.

Offline Vegas Introvert

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 01:30:23 AM »
I'm gonna say Strat is the North cap to the Strip and will soon be reconnected.   Pizza Rock counts because its delicious.  :P

I have yet to go to Lotus of Siam... it is so popular and yet has not gotten me there.  Maybe next time...

Offline knagl

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 04:00:13 AM »
I have a few different answers, based on restaurant category:

Casual/coffee shop: probably Du-par's, although we've only been to the Suncoast location once, but went to the former Golden Gate location a number of times. Runner-up: Magnolia's

Fast: American Coney Island at the D. The chili cheese dogs and chili cheese fries are the ultimate drunk food. Runner-up: In-N-Out Burger

Buffet (maybe someday again?): Feast Buffet at Red Rock Resort. Not gourmet, but above-average at a very reasonable price point. Runner-up: Seasons Buffet at Silverton

Pizza: Evel Pie. Runner-up: Pizza Rock

Fancy: Andiamo Italian Steakhouse at the D

Offline TsuDoNihm

• Full Access Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 09:35:55 AM »
Fast: American Coney Island at the D. The chili cheese dogs and chili cheese fries are the ultimate drunk food. Runner-up: In-N-Out Burger

I have not been in a while, but they at least used to have one of the few gyro's downtown.  I thought they were reasonably good, and not too expensive, (less by far than the only other place downtown I know of, in Neonopolis. 
The best, and easiest, way to enforce social distancing is to shower only once a month.

Offline knagl

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 05:55:53 PM »
I've never had it, but they do still have the gyros available -- they just advertised it a little over a week ago:

https://twitter.com/AmericanConeyLV/status/1328059357699796992

Offline talanhart

• Full Access Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 10:13:54 AM »
The Coffee Shop at Jerry's Nugget.  I love the food and the desserts.  I have to admit that the last two times I was there was for a dessert. 

Offline Vegas Introvert

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 12:53:32 AM »
So I'm not crazy about the hot dogs at American Coney -- they always make me feel a little off.   BUT, I will try the Gyro now that I know it exists.   

Also, I miss good ol fashioned coffee shops so it looks like Jerry's Nugget is in my future.

Offline StatFreak

• Full Access Member
  • A wise man once said: "I see nothing. Nothing."
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 11:48:49 PM »
For steak I like Herbs and Rye. They have two happy hours with half off steak. They also have a large bar for those who are so inclined. I think the first happy hour is 5-8 or something but it's always full. I go to the second one from midnight to 3am. The steaks are very good and the half off price can't be beat. It's on Sahara west of Palace Station.

Carson Kitchen is wonderful. It's on Carson just south of LVB downtown.

I agree with Talanhart regarding the deserts at Jerry's Nugget coffee house.

For a buffet off strip, I'd go with SP.

---------
Really off strip (local stuff):

I just tried a Mexican taqueria near me called Lalo's. It's not busy (not usually a good sign) but I really like their adobada. It's on Rancho south of Santa Fe Station. The burrito is all meat with only cilantro and onions added. I haven't tried anything else so don't blame me if other choices aren't worth bothering over.

I really like Pizza Rock. For more typical pizza, I've enjoyed pizza delivered from Palm Pizza on Charleston and Palm but it's not a place worth going to as a visitor.
If you place a statistician's head in dry ice and his feet in boiling water, then on the average he is fairly comfortable but his comfort has a large variance.

Most people have more than the average number of legs.

Just call me the "quad kickers" of deuces wild and double bonus poker.

Offline knagl

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 07:56:10 PM »
For steak I like Herbs and Rye. They have two happy hours with half off steak.

This has been on the list for years for us, but we've never made it out there.  The pictures I've seen look great, including the craft cocktails.

Offline TsuDoNihm

• Full Access Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 10:27:21 PM »
BTW, Trader Joe's has gyro's, (cut in slices and packaged)  and tzatziki.

I won't say it's as good as in a restaurant, but it's decent, especially if you don't have any near by.

Costco supposedly have them as well, something like 5 in a package with all you need.
The best, and easiest, way to enforce social distancing is to shower only once a month.

Offline Vegas Introvert

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 10:50:22 AM »
Love all these recs -- adding to my list.  There is so much good food in town and a bunch is not on The Strip.

For steak I like Herbs and Rye. They have two happy hours with half off steak. They also have a large bar for those who are so inclined. I think the first happy hour is 5-8 or something but it's always full. I go to the second one from midnight to 3am. The steaks are very good and the half off price can't be beat. It's on Sahara west of Palace Station.

Carson Kitchen is wonderful. It's on Carson just south of LVB downtown.

I agree with Talanhart regarding the deserts at Jerry's Nugget coffee house.

For a buffet off strip, I'd go with SP.

---------
Really off strip (local stuff):

I just tried a Mexican taqueria near me called Lalo's. It's not busy (not usually a good sign) but I really like their adobada. It's on Rancho south of Santa Fe Station. The burrito is all meat with only cilantro and onions added. I haven't tried anything else so don't blame me if other choices aren't worth bothering over.

I really like Pizza Rock. For more typical pizza, I've enjoyed pizza delivered from Palm Pizza on Charleston and Palm but it's not a place worth going to as a visitor.