Author Topic: A Great Stay And Lots Of News For Plaza Las Vegas  (Read 3789 times)

Offline StatFreak

• Full Access Member
  • A wise man once said: "I see nothing. Nothing."
Re: A Great Stay And Lots Of News For Plaza Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 07:06:59 AM »
I have never used a self check in thingie. I "almost" did at Bally's this last trip but chickened out.  In May I am going to do it!

I'd be interested to hear if it lets you choose your choice of tower, high/low, etc.

Only if you slip it a twenty under the screen. :tongue:

Really nice report. I love self-check-in kiosks, so that's good news.

Also, thanks for including the eye candy:

That sure is attractive eye candy -- so which one were you looking at: the beer or the smart phone? :rotf:  :beer: :gig:
If you place a statistician's head in dry ice and his feet in boiling water, then on the average he is fairly comfortable but his comfort has a large variance.

Most people have more than the average number of legs.

Just call me the "quad kickers" of deuces wild and double bonus poker.

Offline bbking

• Full Access Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 09:34:48 AM »
Ha ha ha...I wanted a picture of the hot tub but it was always full...so I had no choice.
It was this or nothing.
 Smile! Wave! LOL. :wavehello:

I have never used a self check in thingie. I "almost" did at Bally's this last trip but chickened out.  In May I am going to do it!

Don't do it! Remember that every time someone uses a self check in kiosk that means a HUMAN didn't check them in. If enough people use these things eventually there will be more of them than there are people. That means fewer jobs. Same goes for the self check outs at retail stores. Every time one of those gets used another employee lost hours.

"That means fewer jobs."

Amen!!
bbking

Offline justmare

• Full Access Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 06:01:58 PM »
The room should be nicer than Four Queens, and it does sound like they're keeping up with service and repairs better than they had a few years ago.  I bet you do get a suite, they have a lot of them and I'm sure they love your level of play.  Can't wait to hear about it!

Think about the chicken-fried lobster at Binions.

What is this "chicken-fried lobster" at Binion's? We've only ever eaten at the cafe at Binion's, never the steakhouse.
Mare
Westminster, CA

Offline justmare

• Full Access Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 06:04:41 PM »
Here are pictures of my room Mare.
We tipped the housekeeping every day and I think she LOVED me.
I get the impression that doesn't happen often there. She NEVER missed my room...lol. ;D

http://blonde4ever.yuku.com/topic/35282/master/1/#.

The bathroom looks kind of small, but I'm sure it will be fine. Hubby is a hotel snob and I offered to double book at Harrah's (I have $600 free play over NYE there plus I KNOW I would get a suite there), but he declined, so if he's not happy with the Plaza room it will be his own fault. lol
Mare
Westminster, CA

Offline knagl

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 02:18:13 AM »
The bathroom looks kind of small, but I'm sure it will be fine.

The "water closet" portion of the bathrooms in the regular rooms are tiny.  I'm a fairly average sized person, and I nearly had to step into the bathtub in order to swing the door closed.

A tip for you, Mare, would be to avoid any rooms near the top floors if you're a light sleeper.  The elevator equipment is on the roof of the tower, and we (about three floors down from the top, if memory serves) could hear the "clunk, clunk..... clunk.......... clunk" of it all night long.  I'd aim for a floor that's about halfway up the tower, if you're able to request it.

I agree with Bonnie's assessment that the rooms are spacious.  I do remember that.  The Fountainbleu furniture felt slightly misplaced in the Plaza room, but it wasn't bad.

Offline jstewa22

• Full Access Member
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 05:35:47 AM »
Hi, Mare.  Top of Binions Steakhouse is okay, not fantastic and the view isn't as good as you might think (the Fremont ST canopy obstructs a lot of the view).  Service is very good, food is pretty good, steaks are okay, prime rib is nice.  The price is right if you have comp dollars (I've heard that if you have comp dollars at Four Queens, you can't use them at Binions, but that a Four Queens host can give you a voucher for a specific dollar amount to use at Binions; haven't tried that out).  The chicken-fried lobster is really nice, though, quite the indulgence.  It's a good-sized (South African, I think) lobster tail, pounded to about 1/2" thick, breaded in panko and fried, served with a side of sauce choron (Béarnaise with tomato paste).  It would be my choice for spending Binions comps.  I'm at work now, can't pull up a picture through the firewall, but I did post a picture in my last trip report: 

http://lvadvice.com/forum/index.php?topic=7303.0

I've been underwhelmed by the Binions Café lately, doesn't seem nearly as good as it used to be, I'd go with Magnolia's any day (and that's pretty damned ordinary as coffee shops go).  They used to have a great hamburger, nicely smashed on the flat top and done perfectly; now it's a prefab abomination.
Jon
St Pete FL

Offline knagl

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 06:16:20 AM »
For the past couple of years there's been a (working off of my memory here) 25% off Top of Binion's Steakhouse coupon in the LVA MRB.

Offline Blonde4ever

• Full Access Member
    • LasVegas4ever.com
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 11:58:15 AM »
For the past couple of years there's been a (working off of my memory here) 25% off Top of Binion's Steakhouse coupon in the LVA MRB.

Yup..that is right. I hoped to use it but ran out of time!

Offline justmare

• Full Access Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 03:22:33 PM »
The bathroom looks kind of small, but I'm sure it will be fine.

The "water closet" portion of the bathrooms in the regular rooms are tiny.  I'm a fairly average sized person, and I nearly had to step into the bathtub in order to swing the door closed.

A tip for you, Mare, would be to avoid any rooms near the top floors if you're a light sleeper.  The elevator equipment is on the roof of the tower, and we (about three floors down from the top, if memory serves) could hear the "clunk, clunk..... clunk.......... clunk" of it all night long.  I'd aim for a floor that's about halfway up the tower, if you're able to request it.

I agree with Bonnie's assessment that the rooms are spacious.  I do remember that.  The Fountainbleu furniture felt slightly misplaced in the Plaza room, but it wasn't bad.

Thanks for that info, Kevin. We are not small people, so I'm a bit worried about the bathroom now!
Mare
Westminster, CA

Offline justmare

• Full Access Member
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 03:31:01 PM »
Hi, Mare.  Top of Binions Steakhouse is okay, not fantastic and the view isn't as good as you might think (the Fremont ST canopy obstructs a lot of the view).  Service is very good, food is pretty good, steaks are okay, prime rib is nice.  The price is right if you have comp dollars (I've heard that if you have comp dollars at Four Queens, you can't use them at Binions, but that a Four Queens host can give you a voucher for a specific dollar amount to use at Binions; haven't tried that out).  The chicken-fried lobster is really nice, though, quite the indulgence.  It's a good-sized (South African, I think) lobster tail, pounded to about 1/2" thick, breaded in panko and fried, served with a side of sauce choron (Béarnaise with tomato paste).  It would be my choice for spending Binions comps.  I'm at work now, can't pull up a picture through the firewall, but I did post a picture in my last trip report: 

http://lvadvice.com/forum/index.php?topic=7303.0

I've been underwhelmed by the Binions Café lately, doesn't seem nearly as good as it used to be, I'd go with Magnolia's any day (and that's pretty damned ordinary as coffee shops go).  They used to have a great hamburger, nicely smashed on the flat top and done perfectly; now it's a prefab abomination.

Thanks, Jon. Both hubby and myself have comp dollars on each of our Four Queens and Binion's cards, so having another place to possibly use some up is great. I'll take a look at the picture you posted of the lobster dish. 

I have no issues with Magnolia's breakfast because I like my eggs over medium, but Scott likes his scrambled and the one time he had them he said they tasted like powdered eggs. I can't get him back to Magnolia's for breakfast since then, but he does like Binion's Cafe for a simple breakfast.

We're slowing down on the amount of trips to Vegas (bought a trailer for camping and a new truck to pull it), and I have way too many places I play at to keep up with on shorter, less frequent trips. So, I'm weeding some out and since we don't use the Four Queens rooms, it and Binion's are the first to go (even though they have the best comp system). We've started to spend comp dollars already, but still have $1620 between us, so it's not going to be an easy task!
Mare
Westminster, CA

Offline justmare

• Full Access Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 03:35:44 PM »

Yes, it's in there, but it expires December 27, unfortunately. We won't be arriving for NYE weekend downtown until December 30. They probably wouldn't let us use that coupon AND comps anyway, though.
Mare
Westminster, CA

Offline jstewa22

• Full Access Member
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 07:37:45 PM »
Hope you like Top of Binions, Mare.  Unfortunately, with that much in comp dollars, you're pretty much stuck with Top of Binions or Hugo's Cellar.  Hugo's is a lot of fun, the food can be underwhelming but there are some good options on the menu.  Of course, you could also get 180 slices of prime rib at Magnolia's to go.

Sure hope the Plaza rooms work for you; at your level of play, they'll be bending over backward to make you happy.  Looking forward to hearing about it!
Jon
St Pete FL

Offline justmare

• Full Access Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 05:32:31 PM »
Thanks, Jon.

I managed to use $132 of my Four Queens comps Saturday in the gift shop. T-shirts for just a little extra thing for each family member to open up. lol

We love the table side salad at Hugo's and the Bananas Foster (better than Brennan's in New Orleans, in our opinion!), but yeah, the entrees are definitely lacking. We normally just get a filet and split it and it's fine.

I'm not sure if we'll go to Binion's over NYE weekend. I talked it over with Scott and since we're doing Hugo's on the 30th and Oscar's on the 31st he really doesn't want to do another steakhouse type meal for our last one that weekend. We might just go to the BBQ place or Magnolia's and get some ribs. I'm going to have to try that lobster dish at Binion's sometime, though!

I don't plan on giving the Plaza anything near my normal play. Maybe $10-20k a day, if that. We might do some wandering around downtown doing a little play here and there.
Mare
Westminster, CA

Offline jstewa22

• Full Access Member
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 06:22:32 PM »
I imagine that you'll be treated like royalty at the Plaza if you give them that much play.  I still think it's a cool place, you can still find a lot of that early '70s opulence if you look around.  I bet the suites are cool.  Looking forward to hearing about it.

I agree about Hugo's, I really like the place, everything is great except the food.  The ambience, the service, the retro menu.  I had a retro entree last time (roast duck flambeed with anisette), was pretty happy with it.  I really enjoyed Oscar's, too, although we had a problem with the manager (I assume that he's long gone by now).  I'm sure it's going to be a fun trip for you guys.

Take care, say hi to Lolly for me!
Jon
St Pete FL

Offline thermonuclear

• Full Access Member
  • You sure get x-1 a lot
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 01:49:38 PM »
Sorry, just looking in again on the thread. The hatred of automation has no basis in fact, IMO.

Do you only hate automation when it occurs at a checkout register or hotel lobby? Next time you pass a construction site, you should stop to yell at the workers for using mechanical equipment. Clearly, they should be using teaspoons to excavate. Think of all the jobs it would create.
There is no luggage rack on a horse.